Friday, March 30, 2012

Ceramics - The Human Element


One of the most challenging parts of ceramics I feel is the glaze.  You just never know how the glaze will react in the kiln.  In our 3rd project we had for class ... we were assigned to throw 6 bowls on the potters wheel.  I made 6 bowls that were abstract in design.  All pieces were curved and fit together like a puzzle.  The glaze was applied with cone 6 glaze in black and purple.  To my surprise the glaze was very pretty when it came out of the kiln.  The bowls were blue with light purple/pink mixed in the blue glaze.  There was a greenish color on the top rim of the bowls. They all look about the same with slight variations.  This was a very different project. It made me happy because I had no idea that the glaze would be so interesting and beautiful.   The bowls were functional and fun for serving.  It certainly was a great project.

Enjoy the Journey!   
Marlene